|Banana Bread Doughnut Twists |
Author: Snappy Gourmet - Lisa Huff
Prep time: 20 mins
Cook time: 22 mins
Total time: 42 mins
A fun combination of banana bread and doughnuts!
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup mashed ripe bananas (about 2-3 bananas)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/3 cup buttermilk
Cream Cheese Glaze:
- 3 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter, softened
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 2-3 tablespoons milk (or buttermilk)
- 1/2 cup toasted chopped pecans or walnuts
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Lightly spray a Wilton 6-cavity Doughnut Twist Pan with nonstick spray.
- In a large mixing bowl, mix together flour, baking powder, baking soda, 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon, and salt until well combined.
- In another large mixing bowl, beat together 4 tablespoons butter and granulated sugar until well combined. Beat in eggs one at a time. Beat in bananas and 1 teaspoon vanilla. Alternate beating in dry ingredients and buttermilk into bowl until ingredients are just combined being careful to not overmix.
- Spoon batter into prepared pan until each cavity is about 2/3 full. Bake for about 18-22 minutes or until golden brown and a toothpick inserted into middle comes out clean. Set aside to cool.
- Meanwhile, mix together cream cheese, 1 tablespoon butter, powdered sugar, vanilla, and 1 tablespoon milk until well combined. Add additional milk as desired for thinner consistency. Drizzle glaze on top of doughnuts or dip top of each doughnut into glaze as desired.
- In a small bowl mix together nuts and 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon. Sprinkle on top of doughnuts.
SNAPPY TIPS: Be sure your bananas are very ripe for best results.
SNAPPY SUBSTITUTIONS: Instead of cinnamon, you could use a combination of other spices such as nutmeg, allspice, or apple pie spice mix. Instead of nuts you could use Wilton colored sugars or sprinkles.
(For more recipes visit Snappy Gourmet at http://www.snappygourmet.com to sign up for an email/RSS subscription or visit Snappy Gourmet on Facebook or Twitter.)
Recipe by Snappy Gourmet at http://snappygourmet.com/2012/10/04/banana-bread-doughnut-twists-wilton-giveaway/