Beware, these cute Mini Pretzel Rolls and Bacon Cheddar Butter Spread may be tiny but it’s easy to keep popping them in your mouth they’re so addictive! You can make the dough from scratch, but it’s so easy to make using defrosted frozen bread dough. I love making these pretzel rolls for parties and serving them as an appetizer with a variety of “spreads”. Always a hit! Less than 10 ingredients for both the pretzel rolls and spread and these can be ready in no time!
To start with, go to the freezer section of your grocery store and find some bread dough. It’s usually by the other frozen rolls or pizza. My store just had their own brand but there are other brands out there and I’m sure they would probably all work fine. Follow the directions on the package to defrost. Easiest thing to do is to refrigerate the dough overnight.
After the dough has defrosted, divide each 1 lb. loaf into 16 balls for a total of 32 balls. You can multiple this recipe if you want to make more, or divide it in half if you want to make less, but keep the water/baking soda the same.
Cover the rolls and let them rise about a half hour or until they are doubled in size.
Meanwhile, bring the water and baking soda to a boil. Place a few rolls in the boiling water at a time and cook about 30 seconds on each side.
Using a slotted spoon, remove rolls from water and place on a lined baking sheet(s). If the rolls changed shape a little, just roll them a little again to get them into a roll shape. Cut slits in the top of each roll with a knife or kitchen shears (either in an X or lines or any way you want). Sprinkle salt on top. I happened to have pretzel salt in my cupboard (not sure where that came from?) but you could use any kind of salt.
Bake the rolls at 425 degrees F for about 14-16 minutes or until they are dark brown.
While the rolls are baking, prepare the spread by placing all the ingredients in a food processor and processing until combined.
If you don’t have a food processor, you can chop everything finely and mix together in a bowl, but a food processor does a much better job in my opinion.
You can prepare the spread ahead of time and cover and refrigerate for a few days. Just bring to room temperature before serving so that the butter softens.
The rolls are best served right away, but if you make them ahead, I would suggest heating them back up in the oven for a few minutes so that they are warm and crisp up on the outside.
These rolls are great appetizers or served with a meal. They’d also be cute rolls for sliders!
I’m just a poor blogger and all I ask for is a little love to keep me going. So please don’t forget to ENTER my current giveaways for some great prizes! If you like this recipe, please follow me on FACEBOOK or TWITTER. You can also sign-up to receive my recipes and posts by EMAIL or RSS. Thanks for visiting Snappy Gourmet!
|Mini Pretzel Rolls with Bacon Cheddar Butter Spread||
- 2 pounds defrosted frozen bread dough
- 8 cups water
- ½ cup baking soda
- Salt (such as pretzel salt or kosher salt)
- ½ cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, softened
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- ½ cup bacon, chopped
- ¼ cup chives, chopped
- Divide dough into 32 balls, cover, and let rise in a dark warm place for about a 30 minutes or according to package directions, until doubled in size.
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Line a large baking sheet(s) with silpats or parchment paper (or aluminum foil that has been sprayed with nonstick spray).
- Meanwhile, whisk together water and baking soda in a large saucepan then place over high heat and bring water to a boil.
- Place a few rolls in boiling water and boil about 30 seconds per side, then using a slotted spoon place rolls on prepared baking sheet(s). Continue with remaining rolls.
- Cut slits in top of rolls and sprinkle salt on top. Bake rolls for about 14-16 minutes or until deep brown.
- Meanwhile, place butter, cheddar, bacon, and chives in food processor and process until combined. Refrigerate until serving then bring to room temperature before serving.