Yep, you read that right…ICE CREAM! This decadent dish is great for breakfast, brunch, or even dinner! You prepare it ahead of time and refrigerate until you’re ready to bake making it a great dish when you have company or just don’t feel like doing a lot of work in the morning making a nice breakfast. Perfect for the holidays!
I strongly suggest using a good quality bread from a bakery for this recipe such as Challah or Brioche or any sturdy type bread. If the bread is too soft it will get too soggy and fall apart. I made a Cinnamon Banana Syrup to go with it that only takes a few minutes to make in the microwave. You could however, just serve with regular maple syrup.
Here’s a picture of the Challah bread I used. It was so beautiful that I kind of felt bad cutting it up. It was a large loaf and probably about a pound and a half in weight.
After you slice the bread, mix together the ice cream, eggs, and cinnamon. I like to use a pie pan.
Dip the bread and let it soak for a moment then place on a baking/cookie sheet or a few 13×9-inch baking dishes. Cover and refrigerate for at least a few hours or overnight before baking.
|Overnight Ice Cream French Toast with Cinnamon Banana Syrup||
- 2-3 tablespoons melted unsalted butter
- 2 cups melted vanilla ice cream (or any flavor; regular or low fat)
- 6 eggs
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 12 large slices Challah (or Brioche or other good white bread), cut into thick slices about ¾-inch wide
- 1½ cups maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 3 bananas; peeled, cut in half lengthwise, then sliced
- Spread melted butter on baking sheet(s) until well coated. Set aside.
- Whisk together ice cream, eggs, and 2 teaspoons cinnamon in large shallow bowl until well combined. Dip bread slices in mixture, allow to soak for a few seconds, then place on baking sheet(s). Cover bread and set in refrigerator overnight.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Remove French toast from refrigerator (bring to room temperature if using a temperature sensitive baking dish such as glass) and remove cover. Bake at 400 degrees F for about 10-15 minutes per side or until golden brown and slightly crispy.
- Meanwhile, place maple syrup, vanilla, 1 teaspoon cinnamon, and banana in microwave safe bowl. Microwave on high in 1 minute increments, stirring after each, until bananas are soft, about 3-5 minutes. Serve over French Toast.
SNAPPY SUBSTITUTIONS: Use your favorite ice cream flavor such as coffee, pumpkin, caramel, etc. instead of the vanilla. Stir in some toasted nuts such as walnuts or pecans to the syrup for a little crunch.
[For more recipes visit Snappy Gourmet (http://www.snappygourmet.com); sign-up for posts via email or RSS; or follow on Facebook, Pinterest, or Twitter.]