This next cookie recipe also uses the basic dough recipe from yesterday and just 3 additional ingredients: preserves/jam, nuts, and orange juice. You’ll need a mini muffin pan although if you don’t have a mini muffin pan you could probably cook them on a cookie sheet like a regular cookie. You can use different types of jam or preserves and different kinds of nuts. Look at the bottom of the recipe for other tips and substitutions. I used strawberry preserves and pecans but only because that’s what we had in the house!
I’m having a few camera and photo issues so please bare with me while I try to get some of the lighting down in my kitchen. Unfortunately, some of these photos for this cookie did not turn out well but they’re good cookies, I swear!
Like I mentioned yesterday, I quadrupled the recipe for the basic dough, split into 4, wrapped, and refrigerated. Here’s a reminder what the dough looks like…
After you roll the cookies in nuts press into a mini muffin pan and use the end of a wooden spoon to form an indentation in the middle of the cookies.
Then fill each indentation with jelly, jam, or preserves before baking.
|Nutty Jam Nests||
- Basic Dough:
- ½ cup unsalted butter, softened
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- 1 egg
- ½ teaspoon vanilla
- 1¼ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- Other ingredients:
- ¾ cup chopped nuts (such as walnuts, pecans, almonds, or peanuts)
- ⅔ cup preserves or jam (such as strawberry or raspberry)
- 1 tablespoon orange juice
- In a large mixing bowl, beat together butter and sugar with electric mixer until well combined and creamy. Beat in egg and vanilla until well combined.
- In a separate small bowl mix together flour, baking powder, and salt until well combined. Beat into butter/sugar mixture until well combined. Wrap dough up in plastic wrap and refrigerate for 2-3 hours or until well chilled (can refrigerate overnight or up to a few days).
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Lightly spray a (24 cup) mini muffin pan with nonstick cooking spray. 4. Divide the cookie into 24 pieces and roll into balls. Roll balls in nuts then press a ball in each muffin cup.
- Using the end of a wooden spoon (or your finger) make a large indentation in the middle of each cookie. In a small bowl whisk together preserves/jam and orange juice until smooth then spoon into cookie indentations.
- Bake cookies about 22-26 minutes or until lightly browned.
SNAPPY SUBSTITUTIONS: You can try any kind of nut or omit the nuts all together or try something else that is crunchy like chopped cereal. Any kind of jam, jelly, or preserves would work well. If it’s a little on the thick side add a little extra orange juice to thin it out.
[For more recipes visit Snappy Gourmet (http://www.snappygourmet.com); sign-up for posts via email or RSS; or follow on Facebook, Pinterest, or Twitter.]